Thursday, August 14, 2008

A reason, a season, or a lifetime

Did you get that email that goes around periodically about a person being in your life for a reason, or a season, or a lifetime? It's about the nature of friendships?

I hate that one. :P

Well, I hate it today, anyway. I'm sure the first time I got it I read it and appreciated it, maybe even the second or third time. But today when I think about it, I get queasy. How are you supposed to know? If it is a reason or a season or a lifetime friend? And how are you supposed to decide that a friendship is worth holding onto? Or not? Or that it should be allowed to die a nice natural death from no contact? Or what if you think it's a lifetime friendship, but for the other person it's only a friendship for a reason, and maybe that reason has expired? What if you have to be hit over the head by someone before you get the idea that your friendship is unwelcome? I'm very conflicted about some things right now.

And it's all just too confusing.

The good thing about blogging is being able to write about these deep thoughts and express your feelings. I like to vent. I like to talk out issues that bother me until I can get a handle on them, and understand how I'm feeling and what I should do. The bad thing about a public blog is that since people you know read it, you can't really say EVERYTHING you'd like to about things.

So. That is all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue, I hate that email also, hate it hate it.
Just this morning i found a card a friend sent me, i ended the friendship because of something she said, i ended just like that, years later i am the one missing her and am to afraid to ask for her forgiveness. Friendships are scary whether they are new or old ones. And when they tell you to follow your heart well that makes me queasy also. Its hard to put yourself out there. I just wanted to write and tell ya i get your post, or at least in my way i get it.
ANg
PS You're IN!!!!

Sue said...

Thanks, ANg!

And I'm glad I'm in, too! :)

Vincent said...

When I first read "A reason, a season, or a lifetime", I thought wow, that's good. When I wanted to blog it, I find that, some things don't tally, and I set about rewriting it. Guess what, I ended up taking the whole verse apart and it still didn't make sense. So I ditched it.
I guess the lesson here is not to take every thing you read too seriously. If you find that what is written doesn't agree with your reasoning, then the writing is probably flawed. :-)

Beth said...

You don't need those emails to know when you have a life long friend. :)

Beth said...

Love the family picture.....!!!!!!!!!!!

Rayne said...

I'm on board with you on this one. Totally hate it. and the part at the bottom that says mail this out and if you get back 'x' number you are loved. Geez...talk about the pressure. I am just not into soppy emails any more, and especially not the ones with guilt inducing tag lines.
Send me the funnies!

Anonymous said...

As I have told you in the past, you are the reason we are friends, the season is forever and my lifetime would not be complete without having been friends with you ........ talk to you someday.....it was nice having the conservsation the other day face to face rather than computer to computer!!!!! :) See ya soon Gem!

Anonymous said...

the ones i hate are the ones that want me to forward something to everyone i know.
don't let this stop with you.
don't break this prayer.
as if were the one responsible for all the unhappiness in the world.
i can make a difference they tell me.
i choose to do so by not forwarding anything that asks me to forward it..

Zee said...

I heard a few sweet songs on "your last FM radio" in the sidebar - that makes you a pretty good friend right of the bat ...

Yeah, pre-typed chain letters of any kind are annoying, I agree.

Anonymous said...

Interesting,after reading this post- I agree with you too! I used to like that email but I have been having the same thoughts lately and wondering what the reasons for everything is.Your a great person and a great friend-reason, season or lifetime!

Sue said...

Thanks... but how great a friend could I possibly be if I don't even know who you are??? C'mon, 'fess up. I could use more friends these days!