Tuesday, March 01, 2011

A New Day

It's a new dawn, it's a new month, it's a new year...


although I did take this photo LAST year.

Today I'm going for an interview for a new job. I'm still optimistic and at the same time, I'm not expecting to get the job. But I do think it's within the realm of possibility. I'm going to try my best, and I've been meditating on the idea that the universe (Higher Power) (God) wants what's best for us and if it's meant to be, it will be.

I've been thinking a lot about my beliefs lately.

I'm going to write here about what I believe, but please don't think that if it's different from what YOU believe, I'm judging you.

I always liked the line from the bible that says "In my Father's house are many rooms. I go there now to prepare a place for you." I might interpret it differently from other people, but I take that to mean that God has a place for a lot of different beliefs, and Jesus is one of them, but not the only one.

I like the Buddhist idea of deciding for myself what I believe, not just accepting the information that is handed to me, on faith.

I do believe in "God" but I don't believe in "Him." I think "HE" is too narrow of a pronoun and "God" is too small of a name for what the higher power actually is.

I don't really believe in church as THE place to connect with that higher power. I think church is a great place to connect with other people, to build community, and that there is a lot of higher power within community of peoples.

I believe in prayer. But I hate telling people that I'm praying for them, because of all the connotations that word has. Maybe meditating is a better word. "I'm meditating for good things to happen to you." That doesn't seem right either. "I'm focusing positive vibes on you, man. Groovy." lol

I believe SO MUCH in prayer, that I hesitate to ask for anything specifically, because I really believe you have to be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

So going on this job interview today, I'm not praying I get the job. I'm praying "Thy will be done," which really is the best prayer, to me. Considering my belief that "GOD" wants what's best for us, doesn't that seem the most realistic prayer?


And it's a beautiful, sunny day... and a brand new month, almost spring... and whatever will be, will be. Amen... :)

7 comments:

Karen said...

Love this photo! It is very soothing.

Sue said...

Thanks Karen! I added the photo, and then posted the article much later :)

Karen said...

Our views are so similar, Sue, including on this subject. I believe in a Higher Power but have never believed that one religion is right over another. Although I have been exposed to a number of them over the years, I could not understand how anyone could be "condemned" for not knowing what they don't know. (Does that make any sense?)

The best to you...

Vincent said...

Great post, Sue. And good luck with your interview.

I am thinking that I should get a job too. But I have no inkling of what I want to do. Getting a bit restless. Oh well, we shall see what happens tomorrow.

Cheers! :-)

Sue said...

Karen - it makes total sense to me... And I think that this feeling has a lot to do with being exposed to more than one religion, because that was my experience as well. Everyone believes that THEY are the ONLY religion. Can't be true, and the universe is way bigger than that.

Vincent - Thanks! Figuring out what I want to do isn't as hard as finding a place to do it. Unemployment, or underemployment, is pretty high around here lately. I have a lot of things to do, but nothing that pays me any money! Good luck with your path...

Sue said...

Just an update about my interview - I think I did TERRIBLY, but what can you do? Oh well, the last interview I did really well, and I didn't get the job. Maybe having done terribly is going to be OK.

Vincent said...

Hi Sue,

Don't stress. Just be yourself. Leave it to the employers to decide whether you are suitable for the job. They already have the 'type' of person they want to fill the positon.
Sometimes, not getting what you want can be a blessing in disguise. :-)

Cheers,
Vincent