Saturday, February 16, 2008

Revenge of the Middle Aged Woman

That's the title of the book I just read, it has nothing to do with the fact I just colored my hair again, or had two glasses of sparking white wine in the middle of the afternoon, OK? Yeah, just so you know.

I stole the book from my sister... Bunny? Amber? Sandi? Anyway, it was on her bookshelf, and she's not the biggest reader around. So I thought to myself, if it's on HER shelf, it must be good, right? Right.

So I read it. It's written by Elizabeth Buchan. It was one of those read all night books, because after all, it is a holiday weekend, and nothing says holiday to me more than reading all night! And yes, for anyone who's interested, it was a very good book.

It was about a 40 something woman who was married for 20 something years. Which is pretty familiar for me. She was very happily married, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere, her husband decided to dump her. (OK, it was out of nowhere for her, but as the reader you knew it was coming.) (And obviously, the dumping part is NOT familiar to me. Frank and I've discussed it, and he isn't dumping me -- and I'm not dumping him.) (Of course, then I'D be really surprised like her!)

The idea was that he dumped her because she confined him -- their relationship confined him. But he dumped her for a younger woman... and in the end, it was obvious that she had lost the confinement, and he had just traded one cage for another. All in all, quite a satisfying book, if not the best I've ever read -- certainly worth reading.

It made me think about turning 40; I always thought that turning 50 would be hard, because it would be the beginning of old age. But for some reason, when I turned 40 I was more stressed out than I expected. And every year that has passed since then I've been feeling more obviously "old." Until just recently, when I realized...I've already hit 50. Well, not really. But I've become what I expected to BE at 50. It just happened sooner than I'd planned. For some reason, my body wasn't in on the plan I'd made, which was to be young until I turned 50 and then to start getting older at that point.

So I've realized from these ruminations, and from reading this book -- the plan I had for my life for once I hit 50 needs to go into effect NOW. I can't wait for my timetable any longer. I have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, and start living my life a little more fully -- like I thought I would do once I hit 50.

Bucket list? Life list? Things I want to do before I die? Well, now is a good time to start thinking about that, isn't it? Who knows, maybe I'll be hit by a bus tomorrow.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Ok...so I wanted to wait for you to come home and ask you for a favor but reading your posts I'm going to ask now...I need you to come somewhere with me...Yes for me...now you might feel some benefit for yourself but this is a selfless act I am asking from you. I need you to come some where with me....ready....ok here it comes.
Originally I was going to go to the Chicago Rett Syndrome Convention but with Kelly doing so well I don't have an overriding need to get more info now. but I do have an overriding need to get away.
OK>>>>Please come with me to the Hershey Hotel and lets have a chocoholic weekend. Its only a two hour drive ...if we leave early on a Saturday and come home Sunday...we can go to the spa, have a great dinner, drinks at the lounge and breakfast the next morning...its a bit pricey and I haven't pick a weekend yet. Hoping you will come with me. Maybe we can get Jan to meet us there.... think about it...Hope your having a great weekend.
....
and wasn't going away to a spa what we were all suppose to do when we hit 40.....ok so I was pregnant and things got a way from both of us over the last few years but I can go now....How about you? Pretty please...remember this is for me..(he he ) ..you'll be doing me a favor and ...ok so maybe you'll get some benefit from it too..he he...

Anonymous said...

As for the book being on my shelf... I bought it just after my divorce. Of which I just celebrated my 2nd Anniversary of being free from that hell. I bought the book cause it sounded like a good uplifting book. Revenge ya know! lol! But I never read it. I don't know that I will get a chance cause now that mom saw it she is gonna read it...and then it may disappear..but I don't know if I would have read it anyway. lol!!! Amber

Sue said...

Hi Beth
I think living well is the best revenge, don't you? I'd be glad to go away, the hard part will be figuring out when. When I get home I'll give you a call and we can work out the details.

And Amber -- you really should read it, it was good. And relatively uplifting.