Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Great Depression

Gram was alive during the Great Depression, and she used to tell some really good stories about what it was like back then. Everyone banding together, hand-me-downs were fine because everyone wore them, food was more valued (but not scarce in her house because her family had gardens and kept their jobs.) I used to think of it as a very romantic time, because that is what it was to her. She didn't really suffer, and although she was cautious about saving things she never got neurotic like some of the other older people who lived through it with more trouble.

I am not really "into" watching the news and the financial reports and things like that. And I've never been that good at watching the money I spend. It's getting tight out there, though, and if even I'm noticing, it must be something. I keep wondering how difficult it will get before the economic turn around, or whatever they call it.

Like the gas prices. Last week -- maybe two weeks ago -- my friend Laurie called me to let me know that I should fill up the tank, because the gas prices were going up dramatically the next day. So Frank and I both filled up the tanks at $3.11 per gallon. Now, gas is passing $3.39 or so; It's expected to be up to $4.00/gallon pretty soon.

Which of course means that all of the food, which is shipped in, is also going up. I was never good at knowing my "prices" -- like am I spending too much for a gallon of milk, if I spend $3.50, or can I get it cheaper down the street? But I can tell you for sure that my food bill is going up and my cart is getting emptier. (And this of course happens now, when Frankie finally decides he LIKES food! Both boys are eating more, finally!)

Well, all that is pretty normal, I guess. Everyone always complains about the prices and things. But a week or two ago, someone was telling me that squatters had moved in somewhere down the park. I believe the park police moved them on. But THAT is eery. Hobos? How much more "Great Depression" can you get?

I'm really grateful to have gotten a job when I did, because with the economy the way it is, we need two incomes for sure.

Anyway, here's hoping that the "recession" goes away soon.

No comments: