Wednesday, February 17, 2010

four minutes, GO

Every day I have a very precise schedule,
I work at 7, so I wake up at 5:55, so I must be in the shower by 6:15, so I must be out of the shower by 6:30, so I must be in the car by 6:50, so I can make it to my job by 7:00.
I have a tea break every day and always seem to find myself getting into the car, driving the same route, getting out of the car, getting my tea, getting into the car, driving the same route, getting back to my desk, at exactly the same points on the clock.
I have lunch break, so, I get into my car, drive the same route, get out of my car, make lunch, surf the internet, get into my car, drive the same route, get out of my car, get back to my desk.
I get out of work, and my time is my own... for a few hours... most of which I usually waste.


I think "rut" is the obvious term. But I don't mind making the same tracks over and over day after day going to and from work. I choose them. I could drive a different direction, I could leave a little earlier, but I don't want to. And I like my job, and I'm happy to be working. The part of my day that is devoted to work is not such a bad little comfortable rut.



The rut I don't really enjoy is the "after work" rut. That is the one I want to break out of. I don't want to waste any time.

I only have four minutes. It's more precious than gold. I don't want to squander it. It's time to GO.

No comments: