Thursday, June 26, 2008

Pearl Jam.

OK, I've put videos of Pearl Jam on here before, and I know you all don't really care, but I went to the show on Tuesday -- and Frank and Frankie went to the show on Wednesday, also -- and you all have NO IDEA what kind of an experience.

The video doesn't do it much justice, either. I searched the you tube site, and this was one of several good clips. But you just can't get the full effect. The camera has an eye that's too small. The microphone isn't big enough. You can't feel the vibrations.

I'm telling you, it's like a religion. More than a little.

No one around here, of my friends, have any interest in Pearl Jam. No one of the kids friends do either. It almost feels like no one likes them. And yet the concert was sold out within 7 minutes. I know of people who came from Greece and Portugal and Texas to be at this show. When you start to really get into it, you are willing to spend the money to travel purely for the concert.

Every seat was full, and every person in the stadium seemed to know every word to every song. People were singing and dancing. The concrete stadium was actually bouncing, literally. It doesn't usually.

I hated Pearl Jam when I first heard them. They were too hard, and all the words blurred together, I had no idea what they were saying. But after years, I'm converted.



Garden (live)
Time: 6:52
Gossard, Ament, Vedder
From the single "Dissident"
She don't wander in here don't wander in here she
She don't wander in here don't wander in here
The direction of the eye so misleading
The defection of the soul yea nauseously clear
I don't question our existence
I just question our modern needs don't wander in here she
She don't wander in here
I will walk with my hands bound
I will walk with my face blood
I will walk with my shadow flag
A-into your garden garden of stone yeah
After all is done and we're still alone yea
I won't be taken yet I'll go with my hands bound
I will walk with my face blood
I will walk with my shadow flag
Into your garden garden of stone-ah yeah
I don't show I don't share
I don't need yeah What you have to give yeah ah
Oooh I will walk with my hands bound
I will walk with my face blood
I will walk with my shadow flag
Into your garden garden oh
I will walk with my hands bound
I will walk into your garden garden of stone yea
I don't show I don't care
I don't need yeah no need to live me to live me to live Ha
---------------------
I still don't know exactly what he's saying, but the feeling comes through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great time. There's nothing else like a live concert- it has energy that no film can ever capture.

Rayne said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Do you know I've never been to a live concert before? I took a chance and watched the video and...I liked it. Later I'm going to fo find Scott's Pearl Jam CDs and give them a listen.
I just realized that you read xkcd, too!

Sue said...

And the energy of Pearl Jam, and their fanatical audience, is astounding! I can't imagine what it is like to be the band and to have that kind of energy focusing on you -- all the time -- but especially during a concert!

Rayne -- The first song I ever liked by Pearl Jam was "Elderly Woman behind a Counter in a Small Town." My husband hooked me by telling me it reminded him of my Grandmother. It was around the time she was dying. It's a great song to start with, IMO.


XKCD is usually funny, although I don't always get it... I'm a geek, but not a math or computer coding person! :)