Thursday, October 25, 2007

I like the moon

 

I don't know why. In the last few years, I've felt more of a relation to the moon.

My grandmother was Mohawk Iroquois.

My Grandmother decided... for some reason, now gone to the grave with her... that my indian name was going to be "Full Moon." I always disliked this as an indian name. It seemed too random. My Indian name was supposed to be meaningful, and Full Moon seemed to be not too meaningful. It seems like something picked at a moment's notice when my mother (being not an indian, but interested in her baby's heritage,) would have asked for an Indian name.

I never asked my Grandmother WHY my name was "full moon."

Anyway -- I'm more into the full moon lately, and I appreciate my name more now than I did when I was a child.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like wine too!

Anonymous said...

We don't understand the wine comment, but hey that's ok!
Halfmoon and Wintermoon

Anonymous said...

I rally hate to correct you, but it was War Eagle and not your grandmother that named you and Sandi. We went to his house on the reservation when we were up there and I asked him to give you and Sandi Indian names.

Mommy

Sue said...

Hi all...
I like wine.
Wine and blogging.
Although they don't always mix too well.
(Frank was anonymous.)

Also -- Mom -- why would I mind you correcting me? I may have been there, but I don't really remember what happened.

But WHY full moon? I really think he just was joking around because I had a big white face. Or butt.

Sue said...

Mom, I wasn't trying to be critical of you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Sue,

I may not be a Native American, but I can see why you were named Full Moon. You may not have understood your name when you were a child, but you have grown into your name and YOU are like a Full Moon, shining brightly lighting the way for those who may be lost in the woods or showing others the beauty within.

Ellen

Sue said...

Wow, Ellen, that was a really nice thing to say. We should get together for some wine!

Sue said...

Wow, Ellen, that was a really nice thing to say. We should get together for some wine!

Anonymous said...

Sue
If you really want to know why he named you Full Moon and Sandi Half Moon I honestly know know, but some how I really think it was just the first thing that came to his mind. You wouldn't remember it, you were very young at the time.

Mom