Saturday, October 06, 2007

Lurking

I must admit, I am a lurker.
Lurking is what you are doing when you are reading people's websites but not commenting. Not letting them know you are there.
I love to surf the web, from one site to another. Blogs, web sites, shopping, music, my space, you tube. I'm all over the place.

Usually, I would like to comment. But when I start to write something, for some reason everything I start to write sounds wrong. Often I just give up on commenting when I lurk. Especially when there are already a hundred other comments there.



I surfed in to this web site:
DUTCHCORNER: Treasure to share#links#links#links
which is a site full of beautiful thoughts ...
and found this poem by Khalil Gibran, which is very appropriate for my children, who are getting old...

CHILDREN
By Kahlil Gibran


And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of children."
And he said: Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable


It is a beautiful poem. I didn't find it, Marje from Dutch Corner did. I had heard that one line before, "You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth..." But I had never read the complete poem.

Anyway, I did comment this time... but I'm not good at that. So if you find me lurking at your site, please realize it's usually not because I don't like your stuff -- I don't comment because I really don't know what to say.

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

I love this poem- thanks for posting it!
"You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth..."

Marja said...

I loved your comment and happy you did so I found you. Thanks for posting this now this treasure gets shared with even ore people and thanks for the nice words about my blog.

Beth said...

So that's what I am,,,, a lurker....sounds illegal.
I usually lurk and never have enough time to comment all the things I want to say and then I never post on my own blog any more.
I'm blaming the migrane this week.
I called the Doc. You were right,
Sudafed helped.
I still want to do that alphabet thing you tagged me with....one of these day.s
Oh by the way we're going to Spamalot on Oct 21st.
I guess I should just call you on the phone later.
Can't wait to see your high school picture.

Niall young said...

I conciously try not to read any of the comments before posting my own...it's then you look with horror as you see that you've just written word for word what everyone else has just written!

Sue said...

Sometimes I even get tongue-tied commenting my OWN blog. Who knows why? It's great of all you to say hi to me -- I always appreciate your comments!

Anonymous said...

Lurking is not illegal, immoral or wrong. Although it sounds that way. If I write it, I want someone to read it. That is why I write it on a public forum. If I don't want anyone to see I would make it private, like what I put in my Holly Hobby diary, that I keep hidden under my Tiger Beat issue with that groovy picture of Davy Jones.
Amber (aka Bunny)