Thursday, March 22, 2007

10 minutes to kill...

...before I have to go work today. I've been subbing all week at the elementary school across the street. It's only half days, in the morning, during the testing; I'm covering for teachers that they need to be proctors.

It's been a nice week so far. I had a class of 2nd graders, the same class all week. They are very good; they know exactly what is expected of them, and they are very glad to do it. They also seem to be very considerate of each other.

One student has trouble keeping up. I gather that he's just moved in from a faraway land, and I'm not sure English is his first language, although he speaks it so well that it's hard to be sure. He isn't doing as well as the other children with the reading and the writing, though, and I feel bad for him. I asked the teacher and she said she's doing things to help him catch up.

The other second graders haven't teased him that I've noticed. In fact, a few have offered to help him. It seems, though, that he doesn't want their help; I think he would rather they just leave him alone. I don't think he wants them to notice that he needs the help. He welcomed my help, anyway. I just felt bad I couldn't work with him a bit more. I'm sure the teacher is much better at all that than I am.

Anyway, my 10 minutes are about up, and it's back to school for me...

4 comments:

Rayne said...

This sounds wonderful.
Before the Crohn's was too bad I used to help kids to read or keep up with their class reading assignments and I loved it.
How did today go for you?

Preeti Shenoy said...

Sounds really good.I used to teach at a preschool for four years.Just before I had my daughter.I used to love working with children.They are so honest and provide such insights, which we adults sometimes forget or overlook.

Unknown said...

cool...I wouldn't mind teaching young kids..

its nice to know that kids that age don't tease those who have trouble in class.

Sue said...

It was a very nice day. It's the best class I've ever had.

I wouldn't say those kids NEVER teased their friend... I just didn't notice it happening while I was there, and I was watching for that in particular. They seemed to be interested in helping him more than harassing him.