Thursday, November 01, 2007

I miss Halloween

I miss having my kids little. There is a toy commercial out there with little blonde boys riding on a tonka truck. Reminds me so totally of Nick at age 1, scooting around on the little tykes race car. Makes me want to have another baby. Which is precisely why I had that operation all those years ago -- so I couldn't go back in a moment of weakness and have another baby on an impulse. When you're done, you're done, and you just have to accept it.

Yesterday, as soon as we got home from his blood test, Frankie was back out again with the car... he really feels like a big deal, I guess, being able to drive when and where he wants to. Nick had to wait for me to give him a ride to trick or treat with his friends. But it's not like they needed me to trick or treat with!

I didn't go to the Halloween parade at school, either. I barely got dressed up -- I dressed normally for work, and then wore my witchy shirt with just a regular pair of jeans, not even a hat or funky makeup, when I got home. How lame is that? And I didn't make gingerbread -- I couldn't find it in shoprite, for some reason -- and I didn't buy (or make) a pineapple upside down cake. Which is one of my personal traditions. Even though I am the only one who would be eating it. Which is why I didn't try too hard.

I only saw one group of trick-or-treaters -- but it was a good group; a bunch of my kiddies from aftercare stopped at our house. They looked adorable!

On the good side, I had a nice evening with my husband, and we went out for a good dinner with wine. And I finished off a book -- the Pilot's Wife, which was really interesting. So it was a good day.

3 comments:

Rayne said...

It is hard as they grow, isn't it? My oldest turned 18 yesterday. My youngest is 14 and I feel at a loss. What do I do now? Like you I sometimes wish I could have another child so I could stay in that safe world with a purpose. Now I realize that I have to evolve and grow with them and learn to be myself again. I confess to feeling a bit scared and worrying that I'll turn into a stereotypical, lonely, clinging, empty-nester.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Hi! I came through Nialls' blog. I'm from Pennsylvania. If you miss little babies, you're welcome to babysit for me for a day or two, or a week, a couple of months- or until the little one's potty trained.

Sue said...

Rayne -- I am so completely struggling with that empty-nester feeling. I'm trying to prepare myself. It's hard not to cling, though...

Julie -- nice meeting you, thanks for stopping in! Pennsylvania isn't far, but potty training is light years away! Everyone always told me to "enjoy them while you can" when my kids were babies. That comment STILL aggravates me. I enjoyed them as much as I could... but how much fun can you have with no sleep?