Thursday, November 08, 2007

Venturing event...

 

Today, Nick and I went on our first Venturing activity -- a day trip to a camp in Northern New Jersey. The Venturing crew was allowed to shoot rifles and shotguns, and learned how to rock climb on rocks, not on a wall built to simulate rock climbing.

Nick just joined venturing. So far, I think he really likes it. I'm not surprised. It is a part of Boy Scouting, but it is different. It is more flexible, less oriented towards earning badges. It is more about doing the kind of adventurous stuff that the kids really want to do. Not to mention that it is only for the older kids -- 14 and up -- and girls are also invited. That has to help.

Nick declined to shoot; I don't think it is something he really is interested in too much. I shot the shotgun, though, and I think I hit the clay target. Well, maybe it was the other kid who was shooting who actually hit it.

Nick did make it up the mountain, and then repelled down. I decided against climbing. Just getting up to the cliff was hard enough... the cliff was located up a pretty steep hill. I had to skitch and slide down on my butt. I was a little petrified. Just a little.

Everyone had a great time. I think Venturing is going to be a really great opportunity...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I love the phrase "skitch and slide". I'm adopting it and using it forthwith!

Anonymous said...

Are you going to keep doing this stuff?

Sue said...

Venturing goes to 21, so I'm good for a few more years!

Not for nothing, but Scouts is my favorite hobby!!!!! WHY would I want to quit? I had more fun at this venturing day trip than I did all week long~