Saturday, July 26, 2008

I've never done a meme before, but I decided to do this one, because it's the first one that truly sounded like fun to me. I found it over at the Caffeinated Librarian's blog which I read rather regularly. (Thanks, CL, for letting me play too!)

Here's how to play:


Put your iPod or music player on random.

Post the first four lines from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song (Skip repeat artists).

Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.
[The Caffeinated Librarian added a rule, skipping songs that have the title in the first four lines 'cause she thinks it's too easy, but I didn't follow that rule. Because I have weird songs.]

Don’t cheat! (no Googling lyrics!)


Ok. Purely on random, without repeating artists... OK, except I counted solo acts as separate from bands that they come from... (if you know who I mean) and sometimes, the title is right in the lyric, so take a guess! I have bizarre taste in music, I know, but try anyway. And oh yeah -- I apologize in advance if some of these lyrics are just wrong! I did the best I could. So.... Here goes:

1.
Is this just another day
this god forgotten place
first comes love and then comes pain
Let the show begin

Frank knows. Pearl Jam, Love Boat Captain.

2.
I hear the train acomin
it's rollin round the bend
and I ain't seen the sunshine
since I don't know when

Beth knew it was Johnny Cash. Frank knew it was Folsom Prison Blues.

3.
I think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup
take it down to LA
Find a place to call my own
and try to fix up...start a brand new day

Good guess, Frank -- but it's not Cheryl Crow. It's Neil Young, Out on the Weekend.

4.
We took the highway til the road went black
We marked truth or consequences on our back
A voice drifted up from the radio
Some other voice from long ago

No winners. Springsteen, Last to Die (new or at least newish album.)

5.
Somebody pick up my pieces
I'm scattered everywhere
at put me back together
and put me 'way over there

Willy Nelson. (Can't you hear him, now that I've said that?) Singing "Somebody Pick Up my Pieces."

6.
Ah the cool green grass rolled across the foggy hills
As I made my way back to my Irish lass
she laid in wait for the man who went away
On the table was the food that filled my past

If I had given you the chorus on this one, you would have gotten it. Flogging molly was a good guess, though. It's Potatoes by Barley Juice. Jimmy might have know, if he ever checked the blog.

7.
I hear the crying of the hungry
in the deserts where they're wandering
hear them crying out for heaven's
own benevolence upon them

Old Crow Medicine Show -- I hear them All.

8.
Well excuse me baby,
What in the world is going on
got an ear full of trouble
when I call you on the telephone

Stevie would have done great with this song. It's Blackberry Smoke, Nothin' for You.


9.
... And in that bog there was a tree,
A rare tree, a rotten tree,
Well the tree in the bog,
an' the bog down in the valley-o.

Definitely an Irish song -- Irish Drinking Songs, the Bog down in the Valley.

10.
Polly wants a cracker.
Think i should get off her first
think she wants some water
to put out the blow torch.

Frank knew Nirvana. Polly wants a Cracker is the name that comes up on my Ipod.

11.
And when I see the sign
that points one way
the lot we used to pass by
everyday

Walk Away Renee by the Four Tops

12.
A friend assures me
It's all or nothing.
I am not worried.
I am not overly concerned.

Counting Crows, Anna Begins.

13.
Your no good...Heartbreaker
You're a liar, and you're a cheat
and I don't know why
I let you do these things to me

By ARetha Franklin. the title of this one is "I Never Loved a Man the Way That I Loved You."

14.
I walk right by him and he's freezing his ass off
He could be dead if we walk away
I don't remember a thing from the summer time
head full of quarters make me feel ok
(?Is this right?)

Freedom by Blues Traveler -- probably listen to this one least on the whole list.

15.
I took my love and I took it down
climbed a mountain and I turned around
and I saw my reflection in a snow covered hill
well the landslide brought me down

Yes, Dixie Chicks (sorry Beth, not Stevie Nicks version) doing Landslide.

16.
Why should the fire die?
My mom and dad kept theirs alive
it's early yet, don't say goodnight
I know you're tired, you'll be alright

Yup, Frank got Nickel Creek -- Why should the fire die

17.
Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
War... what is it good for?
absolutely nothin'....
War... what is it good for?
absolutely nothin'....

I'll give you Jacky Chan. War.

18.
When I walk beside her
I am the better man
when I look to leave her
I always stagger back again

Definitely Eddie Vedder. Hard Sun.

19.
(somethin about blue...?I can't quite get it)
There's nothin more that a man could do
don't get your bullocks in a twist
settle down, don't take a fit
You drank a demon straight to hell

Flogging Molly -- Salty Dog.

20.
Out on highway 45
a big white sign hangs in her drive
lease or cash or mastercard
come see the psychic to the stars

Paul Thorn, Sister Ruby's House of Prayer.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognized 2 Titles and artists after reading over your list once... but as for the rest I only recognized one more...and I couldn't tell you who did it. I am tired and I only read it once. I will try again later. Maybe more will come to me when I am more alive.
Amber

Beth said...

I'm not going to embarrass myself by trying this as I only knew two artists...Johnny Cash and Stevie Nicks....If its not from the 70's I'm totally clueless.

Sue said...

Just try, people! You can blog only the answers that you know, you don't have to post the whole list!

Anonymous said...

I got no time - another meeting in a few minutes, then off to Texas...

1) Pearl Jam - Love Boat Captain
2) Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
3) Sherl Crow
4) Nickelback
5) Shattered by the puzzles
6) Flogging Molly
7) Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike
8) Stevie Ray Vaughan
9) Whiskey in the Jar'O - Metallica version
10) Nirvina - Lithium
11)
12)
13) My wedding song
14)
15) Dixie Chicks - Landslide
16) Nickel Creek
17) Jackie Chan in Rush Hour I
18) Eddie Vedder

Gotta go,
Thor

Sue said...

My wedding song?

Beth said...

Well of course Thor knew most of them.....
a little inside information from the source....seems a bit suspicious if you ask me.
Where in Texas...my brother in law and sister in law live there now....some God forsaken part in the west.

Sue said...

Sad to say, I didn't actually ask him WHERE in Texas. It's usually McAllen, which is somewhere near the border of Mexico. That's all I know.

Beth said...

OK...so it wasn't Stevie Nicks but I wasn't listening I was only reading lyrics...wouldn't be the same?????...(trying desperately to get totally non consequential points to add fun and fantasy to my life)