Monday, January 29, 2007

Disgusting

Frank and I took a walk across the street this weekend. We live across from a school, and behind the school is a section of public park. A brook runs through the property -- we call it the Brook, ever since I was a kid, no name, just "The Brook."

From a distance, the land is a swath of green (more brown and gray in the winter) through a very densly inhabited neighborhood. Last summer, I was very excited when I saw an egret or heron flying back there, and I ran home and got my camera to take a photo. Usually, though, I don't get back there much. It's just nice to know it's there.

A few weeks ago, I saw a deer. I found it amazing. The wildlife in this area increasing in spite of the increase in humans. When I was a kid, we had squirrels and the occasional skunk, and that was IT. Now, I have seen rabbits, raccoons, and even a ground hog, not to mention the deer and the egret. So we took a walk with the camera. I was hoping to catch a picture of a deer where I never imagined a deer would live.




Instead, I found many birds, including wild ducks. And, as you can see, the most horrifying assortment of litter that I have ever seen.




From a distance, the litter isn't really noticeable usually. When you actually get down to the brook, though, it's unbelievable.




I'm going to have to do something about this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure the name of the brook is Sucker's Creek. Or some other similar weird name.
Bunny

Niall young said...

Isn't it heartbeaking to see such a sight?..It never fails to amaze me that you can go to the most desolate areas and still find a crisp packet or coke can..

If you do manage to do something about it..perhaps you could document the progress here?..show us what it looks like as spring comes along?

Preeti Shenoy said...

The ducks picture is lovely.The ohter one--How come no-one has done anything about it upto now I wonder.

Sue said...

I have a meeting with the new Mayor in about a week. The meeting isn't about this, but I plan on bringing it up when I see him. I'm going to bring pictures.

I want to get help. There is more litter than I can clean up alone.

I will definitely try to document any progress!!!

Sue said...

I think no one has done anything up to now because most people don't go down there and walk by the brook. Most of us just zoom by in our cars, and I don't think it's as visible from the road. Especially if your attention is on driving and on your regular life stress!

Anonymous said...

You have a meeting with the new Mayor??????????
Are you volunteering for something else again???????
If he doesn't help you, send the pictures to the paper!
Good luck, I remember climbing around down in that creek lots of times (as a kid :) ) but never was it ever so bad.
Beth