Monday, January 08, 2007

Reading and Writing

Hi all
I've been reading a lot over the last day or so. I'm reading a book called "Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books." It's very interesting, about a female university professor in Tehran during their cultural revolution as they became the Islamic Republic of Iran. She relates the lessons of the classic literature that she reads to what is going on around her.

I began reading it because I wanted to experience a memoir as a reader, because the memoir I'm working on of my own is lagging a bit. I needed to hear another memoir voice, you might say, to compare what I'm doing and what other people have done. I started writing this memoir, as you may recall, during Nanowrimo... well, it's still a work in progress!

"Reading Lolita" is slightly above me intellectually. Part of the problem is that I didn't follow the details of the political issues at the time, so it's somewhat new to me; and also, she is discussing specific classic literature that I haven't read or that I've read too long ago. So I suppose that the next thing I have to do is find all the books she refers to and read them, and then read the book again!

And meanwhile, my own memoir sounds... well, less literary than hers, but pretty true to my own voice. I still have a lot of work to do on it, but it's going quite well!

5 comments:

Niall young said...

Probably not connected..but have you read 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini?..set in Afghanistan during the coming of the Taliban and the effect on 'Normal' Afghans...the oppression and 'escape' of the author...just wondered.

Preeti Shenoy said...

I read "memoirs of a Geisha" sometime back.Gave me so much of insight into the cultural nuances of Japan.It was wonderful.
Kite runner is next on my list.(am reading time traveller's wife now-recommeded by Niall--it is superb)

Sue said...

I haven't read the Kite Runner yet, although I've seen it out there... I've never been able to focus on the Middle East because the war and historical tensions and troubles are so... overwhelming? Insurmountable? I've avoided it until now. I think I will be picking it up soon, though.

Memoirs of a Geisha is one of my favorite books, I've read it a few times and just watched the movie. I hadn't thought of it as a memoir; I have to look at it again from a different perspective.

The Time Traveller's wife is one of my favorite books as well. I've only read it once, though, and need to pick it up again to really know it. I lent my copy to my Mom, I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue...I read memoirs of a geisha, just keep in mind it is a novel not a true memoir. Beth

Anonymous said...

Time Travlers Wife was very good and yes, you lent it to me, but I thought I returned it.

Mom