Friday, January 26, 2007

Spa Day

I'm having a party tonight (I tried to invite everyone I could think of who might actually be interested, and who lives close enough to come -- if I missed you, I'm sorry, please come anyway!)

It's kind of like a tupperware party, but instead of tupperware or candles, we're having spa stuff and snack stuff. (Is this only a New Jersey thing, or do women in other places do these kind of shopping parties?)

Personally, I like the spa products this lady is selling. I've used the stuff I bought, and I like it. I've tried to tell everyone, though, that I don't care if they buy anything or not. The reason I'm doing the party is because the whole spa treatment thing was fun when I went to a party at a friend's house a few months ago. We all soaked our feet, and she led us through a guided imaging ... ("Imagine you are on a warm, tranquil beach... the sea is lapping at your toes... the palm trees are swaying in the gentle breeze...") and then she let us try out a few other products, and then we had snacks. I'm going to make a huge amount of strong sangria, too.

I've made it even easier on myself by having someone who does snack parties bring her merchandise, too. So I don't even need to cook anything.

I actually feel a little guilty. About not cooking anything for the party. But considering the fact that I've felt pretty nasty for most of the week, it's been all I can do to just clean the house. So it's working out pretty well all in all, I hope.

I WOULD feel guilty about inviting my friends to what is basically a marketing presentation, but it is so standard around here, that I almost give up. Several years ago I tried having "hen parties." Just inviting the same women to a luncheon or whatever with no agenda other than hanging out and talking. It never seemed to catch on with anyone else. Also, it began to seem wrong to not invite the husbands, and that means the kids, and that means a complicated and large event.

Maybe I'll have to schedule a hen party brunch in the spring. You're invited if you can make it to New Jersey! Let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue-

I would like the record to state that I coined the expression "Hen Party". All of you hen's getting together, clucking and clucking.

Don't worry, the kids and I are punching out as soon as I get home tonight.

Love,
The head Cock

Preeti Shenoy said...

Hey--U did not force anyone to come.So why feel guilty about inviting people to 'sales' parties?(we have such things in india too)And where does it say that you HAVE to slog and cook, if u host a party.Hosting one itself IS a big task for me.(Cleaning up, and making the house look good--I'd rather read a book , or run a mile or paint a picture!!)hope it goes well--am sure it will.Hope U have a good time as well.And get the 'head cock' and the boys to help in clearing up later ;-)