Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Good book, not so good book...

Two books I've been reading this week...
"Behind the Scenes at the Museum" by Kate Atkinson, copyright 1995 -- National Bestseller, Whitbread Book of the Year, a New York Times Notable Book of the Year -- so far, not so good. Interesting, yes. Great? Not to me, not so far. But I'm only like 2/3 of the way through, so I'll keep slogging on and let you know. So far it's about a little girl (she actually starts narration while she is an embryo) and her family and family history. A lot of detail.

Previous book, finished this week -- "Crofton's Fire" by Keith Coplin, copyright 2004. Recommended by my Dad. Lots less detail, more action. Less words per page. Less deep. But really makes you think. It starts out with Crofton, a member of the US Cavalry and graduate of West Point, watching Custer get massacred. His unit was a support unit and knew they couldn't do anything about it. Continues with him keeping peace in Texas and then watching Zulus get massacred by the British in Africa. Ends back at West Point. Less detail... but to me, it was quite impressive. I'm still not even sure why.

Mind you, I like a lot of detail. I love to pick the biggest books on the shelf and read those. But I'm just not into picking it apart this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue:
Dad and I both liked Crofton's Fire too, but I have read better. It was interesting in its own way though.

I just finished "The Family Tree" by Carole Cadwalladr. Did you read that one. It took me a little time to get into it, but once I did, it was pretty good.

We spend so much time in the car that I have been taking Dramimine and reading.

Mom

Sue said...

I didn't read The Family Tree (I don't think)-- save it for me.

I really like Crofton's Fire, though. As I said. I have read better, yes, but I guess right now I'm reading worse.