Monday, February 09, 2009

an artist's eye

I like to play with art, and I think that's good enough for me. I see things that I like. They might not be art to you, but that's ok too. I've decided to be an artist when I grow up. It isn't too late. I'm not grown up yet, even if I am getting old. I'm younger than I'm going to be next week. So I'm working on building up my portfolio of images, and I'm starting now. I'm not worrying about the images that I lost on my previous hard drive -- I am only working on moving forward. I'm not sure where I'm going to start, but I know when -- I started tonight. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

pink dogwood said...

Wish you lots of luck. Looking forward to following your progress on this journey :)

Sue said...

Thank you!

I hope that everyone will give me feedback as I post things -- not just positive reinforcement, but constructive criticism as well.

Niall young said...

Sue..there is a piece of writting that you really should read...you probably don't think of yourself as an 'artist'..but you are..I'll have a good search around for the article ( it's under a pile of papers somewhere!)your ability to communicate via your photography is plain to see...

Sue said...

Niall -- I would definitely like to read the article, if you find it :)
Right now, I think I am working on the "seeing myself as an artist" part as hard as I'm working on the art!

Anonymous said...

It's never too late to start:
Brahms was aged 43 when he wrote his first symphony. Beethoven was in his 30s.
Robert Frost was, i think 48 or 50 when he wrote “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.” Mark Twain was 49 when he wrote Huckleberry Finn.
Cézanne's masterpieces were painted near the end of his career, in his 60s.
older artists are more searching and evolutional than their younger counterparts. it's because the art of older people comes from their experiences with the hear- something with which a young artist has little experience.

Beth said...

Congratulations on your new found determination. You know I've always liked your work and I don't have much artist background to criticize. I do like it when you "picasso" your pictures with the colors or like blurring the image like the water. Thats when I see that you can look at ordinary things with an extraordinary eye. just mho.