Sunday, February 01, 2009

Wow, it's late.

And I'm really cold. But I don't feel like going to bed yet, so there you go. I wanted to blog all day, but I'm not sure I can write what I'm thinking about. We'll see.

To be an artist, do you have to create art, or do you have to create GOOD art? Or is it something about making a living at creating art, or making some kind of money, or getting recognition? Or are you an artist just because you create, and there is no value/judgement/grade pre-requisite?

What about a poet? If I write poetry, but I never share it with anyone, am I a poet? Am I a poet if I write poetry and share it, but it's terrible? Am I a poet if I just accidentally write beautiful words, like however many monkeys on however many typewriters could theoretically write Shakespeare?

Am I an author if I'm not published, but I write? What if I write and publish it on a blog? Am I an author if I write and publish, but no one reads it? Or if people read it, but it's not very creative? Would that make me still an author, just a bad author?

So am I a friend if I make a friend of someone, even if I'm not a very GOOD friend? Does friendship imply closeness or proximity compared to distance, goodness instead of not so goodness, or some kind of value/judgement/quality thing?


Just wondering.

9 comments:

Sue said...

And no, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking more theoretical. It's all tied in to my meaning of life questions.

jozien said...

Hi Sue, great post! I know exactly what your saying.
Poetically,:)I always think; when the wind blows through the trees in a far away forest and nobody hears it, is there sound?
Saying that; for me its a feeling.
Of what you list, i call myself an artist. But saying that, i think everybody is an artist.
OK, i realize that doesn't answer any of your questions.

Sue said...

The question about the sound in the forest is exactly what I'm talking about, it's the same thing, isn't it? You may not have answered my question, but you've definitely given me something to think about that will help!

christopher said...

Sue, I followed you home and you have given me the laugh out loud recognition of myself in your post. I don't know if some questions really have answers, or at least the answers refuse to hold still.

A man taught me, some questions are not for answering but for living in. Ask them. Do not answer. Instead hold them like lovers hold lovers.

Beth said...

the answer is....yes you are an artist, yes you are a poet and yes you are a friend....who would know better....except for Thor.

Sue said...

Christopher -- I'm sure you know I found you through Jozien's posts; I think your poetry is beautiful.

I've been holding these questions for so long, and sometimes the answer seems almost within reach, but then it becomes like smoke and blows away. But you are right, maybe it's in the asking.

Beth -- Thank you for your affirmation, but it's still hard to grasp the meanings, if you know what I mean :)

Vincent said...

A philosophical / spiritual moment, Sue:-)
You asked the questions. Ever tried answering them yourself? I do that someimes - ask questions, and then try answering those questions myself. Try it and see. You will surprise yourself with the answers you come up with.

Anonymous said...

Too deep for me!!! LOL!
Bunny

Sue said...

Vincent -- I am better at asking than at answering!