Thursday, February 26, 2009

FAFSA and Finances

Wow, do I feel productive this week! I am refinancing our mortgage, the taxes were done in a spectacularly quick fashion -- not really happy about them, but they're done at least -- and we've filed the FAFSA, which is the Financial Aid form for College for Frankie.

The FAFSA form is basically simple to fill out. They make it very clear. What is very difficult is trying to figure out the numbers. Yeah, sure, I understand what numbers are supposed to be in this box, but how do I figure out that number??? It's not just what you earn, it's also how much do you have saved? How much do you have invested? And I don't have a lot of huge investments, but I have a strangely large number of little tiny investments. One share of stock here, one share there. Literally.

Anyway, I added everything up as well as I could, and I crossed my fingers and filled it out. Frankie helped.

From everything I've heard, I am not supposed to expect any financial help with paying for college, but I had to fill it out anyway. So at least it's done.

4 comments:

jozien said...

That's what i should be doing; taxes.
Maybe i see the beauty of it once i start.D)
Thanks.

gfid said...

i came by for a cheery word, and i get taxes.... sigh. not that mine are anywhere near finished, and it's a good reminder.... just not what i wanted to hear. well, good on you for setting a good example. cheers.

Sue said...

Jozien -- If I were YOU, I'd be snow shoeing... the only beauty in taxes is once they are finished!

Gfid -- Ouch! And I started to post last night, but didn't get around to it... I hope you come back for a better post soon! :D
Good luck with your move!

Beth said...

gfid's post made me laugh.....and hopefully with the stimulus package you will get a nice deduction with Frankie full time college....I thing $2500???