Monday, April 20, 2009

Dieting

I believe that humans are NOT meant to go on diets.

Our bodies have evolved to this point, and we hold on to our energy reserves as fat cells for a reason.

I'll write more at lunch.

OK now, what was I saying? Wait a minute, let me put this cookie down first. It's a really good cookie, and I got four boxes for free because when we were cleaning up after the big Gift Auction on Saturday, no one else wanted them. They are almost expiring. Not quite, though, and they are very tasty.

Ok, what was I saying? Yeah, dieting. I really believe that dieting is not good for us. That's why I keep getting pudgier and pudgier.

Really tasty and delicious food is FATTENING. And I really like it. And I think it's really tasty and delicious because our bodies have evolved to be very attracted to the foods that will give us the most bang for our buck, so to speak. The more calories the better it tastes. Then we have more energy. Who knew that our ability to produce and store high calorie foods would outpace evolution? We evolved to eat as much as we could when it was available, and then use up that energy reserve slowly when food was scarce. Of course now, food hasn't been scarce in my entire lifetime. So I never get around to using up that fat. It's not my fault, it's the fault of science and evolution!

I'm pretty healthy, I think. I can hike pretty well and pretty far without getting too winded. (Just NOT up the side of a cliff, thank you very much.) I don't have many strenuous chores to do -- again, the fault of science. Another reason I don't need to use up those calories.

Well, I gotta go back to work now, and sit at my computer for the rest of the afternoon at work. I'll write more later.

4 comments:

jozien said...

No diets! I agree. I haven't been on a diet for 25 years, and i've been skinny for the last 18 years.(i know Alexander is to blame)
Hey but i am smoking now, not much, but nevertheless...
Oops! Sue that is my best kept secret ever. I hope nobody reads your blog :) but serious, what do i do, to stop?

Sue said...

Jozien -- I think you are probably the picture of health and skinny because of all the skiing and hiking you do! But smoking -- uhoh, that will make me worry about you. That, and I worry about you falling through the ice. That wouldn't be healthy either.

I don't know how to stop because I never started, and I can't make myself stop over eating, so I can't really give you any good advice. Maybe try the nicotine mints? If it's not much, maybe it will be easier to stop... Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Re quitting smoking: I quit a number of years ago. I really think that if you really want to (on some level, most people don't really want to quit)you can just stop. I did it once I made up my mind and I was smoking 2 packs a day. It wasn't easy but it is possible. The hardest part was breaking the habit. It took about 2 weeks to get over the actual addiction. Maybe they are putting more addictive stuff in the cigarettes now to hook you.
Mom

Sue said...

The same thing with food. If I really wanted to diet -- on some level, I really don't want to quit eating junk food -- I could make up my mind and do it.

I just don't have the motivation to really do it.