Wednesday, August 12, 2009

SWAT day at work

Yesterday was "SWAT" day at work! When I pulled up in the morning, there were township emergency management vehicles all over the place, so I knew something was going on.

Even knowing that the township is running drills in case of an emergency, however, it is still a shock when you are walking around a corner and come face to face with a guy in cammo and a bulletproof vest and helmet with a rifle aimed at you!

And I felt rather bad for the first family, in the morning, who had come in to register their son for a new school. It's summer, so usually very few people are in the building, so we didn't have signs up or anything. I sent them down to guidance to register, and they left our office to come face to face with a whole platoon of guys with guns walking up the halls! "hey, kid, you better realize we take school security very serious around here!" That kid will be well-behaved!

It's a shame that we live in a world where we need to do these kinds of drills. But I'm glad they do them, since we do live in this world. You don't want the first time the police are in the building to be when there IS an emergency. You want them to know the layout of the building, to have practised some scenarios, to have an idea of what is going on. I just hope they never need to be here EXCEPT for practice drills.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to gear up for the fall. I've got a list of things to do already, and I'm trying to get a jump start. Here it comes, ready or not!

2 comments:

Beth said...

they are having the emergency drill at our high school today...cops and response vehicles everywhere....not going past there today!!!

Sue said...

It's rather spooky, isn't it?