Monday, January 05, 2009

The Mundane

One of the problems with writing a blog, for me and for a lot of my friends, I think, is... what am I gonna write about? My life is not exciting. I go to work, come home, cook dinner, go to a meeting, do some laundry, and go to sleep... every single day (just about.) There are some variations, but that's basically it.

But it really isn't boring. Or at least, it doesn't feel boring today. Today it feels beautiful.

Well, that's not saying that the BLOG isn't boring. Because I guess a lot of days it is boring. Do you really CARE about my laundry?

(I can hear Thor yelling "YES!!! DO IT!!!")

But every one of those mundane days has an additional layer of beautiful things. There is a beautiful sky as I'm driving to work. There is a really wonderful cup of tea. There is a pleasant camaraderie at work, saying the same pleasant "good morning" to about 40 teachers, and "Have a good afternoon" at the end of the day. There is an amazing song on the radio as I'm driving home for my break. There is the time I have for meaningless or deep conversations with my family, and there is the often funny conversations around the dinner table -- well, you might not think they are funny, but Schroedinger's Cat jokes always make us laugh. And there is the relaxation of the couch at the end of the day, watching a good story on TV, reading some interesting blogs from friends all over the world... it's a great thing.

And how much of a blog can you write about that?

But it's there. And when I see a beautiful sunset, in the same spot I see the sun set practically every single night, I am thrilled. But I take a picture of it, and it looks pretty much the same as the sunset I posted last time. So I might not post it. But it's what makes life wonderful. Even if my blog is boring.

Love ya --
Peace

5 comments:

Vincent said...

Firstly, the daily routine is one aspect of our life. Secondly, there is beauty, peace and joy - bliss even, in the Mundane. Thirdly, you shouldn't worry whether people think your blog is boring. There are people who don't blog at all because they wouldn't know what to put in their blog.
Cheers!

GEM said...

Sue,

Believe it or not just knowing that your life is similar to mine helps me get through each mundane chore I have. You said to me yesterday, we may not speak to each other often, but we both know what is going on in each of our lives. I think that is pretty cool. Keep on Blogging!

Gem

Niall young said...

you have written so beautifully here Sue! There are the 'big' events...they are wonderful.But the real beauty lies within the way we view the world, and our experience of the world comes from us being in it...or rather out and about in it...There is beauty in the mundane..see how gracefully the steam rises from your cup of tea..the smile on the faces of those you meet...the glow of the TV at the end of the day. You keep writing it, I'll keep rerading it!

Beth said...

My recent beautiful "mundane" moment was stopping at the Dunkin Donuts with Sabrina when I had to run into the local food store. She asked for a donut, of course, but I just sat back and watch her beautiful face, beautiful blue eyes and the crumbs on her face as she happily ate her donut and I waited. I had the stupidest smile on my face watching her....

jozien said...

To you and all the people that left a comment, i say; yes, yes, yes!
And good luck with your eyes. I relate....
Thanks!