Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Politics (and Religion)

The two forbidden topics of polite conversation, right? I always heard that you are supposed to avoid talking politics or religion. And yet, here I am, posting politics on my blog. Maybe a bad idea? I hope not. I have a lot to say, and you might disagree with all of it. But one of my favorite political quotes, possibly misquoted, is, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." So please realize that these are only my opinions I'm airing out, and I don't mind if you think I'm wrong.

When I was a kid, I loved talking politics, especially with Ray. Even then I was a bleeding heart liberal. He was always conservative. We had great debates. I usually lost.

The main things I learned as I grew older is:
You can't change anyone's mind about anything, even if you are certain you are right. You can't change a belief. But you CAN make people really mad at you. And who's to say, in the end, that you aren't the one who is wrong? The whole world is shades of gray. Nothing is black and white in real life.

I also learned that no matter who came in to power as President, it didn't make as much difference in my day to day life as I thought it would. Whether I loved them or hated them, my life continued along. I've been lucky.

I argued politics back in the day when we were discussing Reagan. I thought he was a nice guy, but too old, and I didn't believe he was a leader, I thought he was just an actor. I felt like we needed a leader. I didn't realize at the time that he was a good enough actor to act the part of leader, and it would work pretty well. I hesitate to say I was wrong, but he did do some very good things.

I was all for Clinton. I felt like he was smart, and young, and a liberal democrat like me -- I was glad when he was elected. I DIDN'T expect to be embarassed by his morals and actions. The presidency became rather tawdry, full of news stories I didn't want to hear. I hesitate to say I was wrong, but he did do some very bad things.

I was against W. way back from the beginning. (I don't remember having much of an opinion about his father.) I remember thinking that everyone was voting for the "regular guy," someone they could have a beer with. I wanted a President who was smarter than me, not just a regular person, but someone to look up to. And as much as I feel somewhat vindicated, I'm not really happy about it. I feel bad for the guy. He was elected to be a regular guy. He bumbled through a lot of things and made some really big mistakes, just like any regular guy might when he's outside the limits of his ability. If you put ME in as president, I'd make TONS of mistakes. So how can I really blame him?

I wasn't very enthusiastic about this election. I'd kind of given up on politics. But look what happened! I'm still amazed, and thrilled.


Obama's speech was beautiful. It was a call to action. But it leaves me wondering, what kind of action? We can't just listen to the stirring words and not DO something to improve the country, and improve the world. But I'm not sure WHAT to do.

He said it won't be easy, that it's going to take a lot of hard, back-breaking work. Everyone cheered. Cheering and listening is the easy part. Now, we have to fix things. And we can't leave "fixing things" up to him -- he's the leader, but we have to follow his lead. We have to actually DO something that makes a difference. We ALL have to do something.

but what?

6 comments:

Vincent said...

Someone once said - I can't remember who now - "I would like to vote the best person for the job, but he was never amongst the candidates." - something to that extend.

Personally, I tend to leave politics to the politicians.

GEM said...

Sue,

I believe you and I are doing exactly what our President is asking the rest of the citizens of America to do. We volunteer our time in useful and meaningful ways. We promote the strong moral values of an organization that have given and continue to give both of our families, the building materials needed to add to the foundation that we, our parents, and grandparents have prepared for our childrenand their children. Yes, I am sure there is more that we can do, but we have been doing it already. Our fathers and grandfathers plowed the fields and hoisted the guns. Our mothers and grandmothers taught and nurtured the future generations. It is our turn to teach the morals to our children, and teach not only by speech but by actions.

Gem

Sue said...

Vincent -- I know what you mean about leaving the politics to the politicians. I tend to agree at this point in my life. However, I don't want to leave my COUNTRY to the politicians. That's along the lines of throwing up my hands and giving up. I want to help make things better. I love the quote!

Gem -- I did think about that, too; we are definitely helping make things better by helping teach the boys about citizenship and service etc.; but I think the country will still be in big trouble if everyone says, "Well, I'm already helping make things better, so I don't need to do more." If we all keep doing the SAME things, we'll still be in the same spot. Something needs to be different, something needs to be added. I'm not sure what, though...

Niall young said...

I just wanted to say here Sue,that it is right and healthy to debate the issues of our communities , nations and our world..a frank exchange of views spoken with the spirit of a desire to seek peace,betterment and education can only be good and is my ideal.

I was persionally very moved by the inauguration of President Obama on Tuesday...I was moved deeply by the tears of many who desperately fought ot see the end of racism and biggotry (which sadly will always be with us where ever humans are concerned who fear the unknown.)and I rejoiced with the many who see this time as a time of hope and remaking.

Sue said...

Hi Niall... Thanks for commenting. It was a very emotional ceremony for everyone. There are so many hopes attached to President Obama that I am so afraid it will be next to impossible for him to live up to his expectations; but so far, in as short a period of time as he has, he's done really well in my opinion at least! One way or the other, I believe that he is in it for the right reasons, and that he truly wants to live up to our best and most noble, high minded ideals. That in itself is saying something important!

jozien said...

Yes! I love your post.
Maybe if politicians be more like you... or actually with your attitude you probably would do very well for your country as a politician. :)