Monday, January 19, 2009

Winter, with the promise of spring.

This is the Magnolia tree in front of our house. I love this tree, it was here at this house when I was born, and I've grown up with it. I never climbed it as a child, and I didn't know why until I looked back at photos later in life -- it wasn't really a tree for most of those years, it was more a shrub. There was nothing for me to climb, but it was a great tree for my boys to climb on when they were little.
 
Posted by Picasa


In the spring, the flowers are usually beautiful. The buds that you see are the flower buds. They are there all winter, covered in an almost furry coat. As it gets warmer the buds get larger and then split open to reveal beautiful creamy white and pink satiny flowers. There are still no leaves on the tree until after the flowers fade, and when they all drop off, you can see the tiny green leaves just beginning. If you look really closely, you may be able to see the leaf buds, which are tiny little bits near the flower buds. The leaves are velvety in the summer, and go from the brightest shades of green to a deeper green to finally turn brown and tan in the fall.

 


Winter can be a beautiful season. More beautiful in some ways than spring. But looking at the buds right now, I can't wait to see the tree in flowers. I guess most of all, I always look forward to the change from one season to the next. I don't think I would enjoy winter without the promise of the spring. When spring is here I enjoy the flowers but I look forward to the heat and shady leaves of summer. In summer I look forward to the cool breezes and colorful leaves of autumn. And in Autumn I can't wait for the first snow fall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the seasons are a great metaphor for hope. where life is possible, there will be life. in every change, there is the promise of renewal.
i love your pics and observations and comments about the magnolia. a tree is a tree is a tree, until its not a tree. it's something more.

Vincent said...

For some reason, I like this post very much. It has a lot of Life in it - if you know what I mean.

jozien said...

Good work, with your new camera!
I also enjoyed following you through New York.
I am listening to the radio right now, our news is your(the States') big day!

Anonymous said...

it's the buds.

Sue said...

Thanks, everyone, for commenting. I was feeling very philosophical...

This bud's for you!

:)